Weerasinghe co-founded the Theertha International Artists Collective in 2000, which continues to foster new talents and initiatives. His practice examines and critiques Sri Lankan anxieties, and explores themes such as nationhood (a particularly volatile concept within the context of his country), religion and identity.Decorated features his recent paintings, drawings, sketchbooks, notes and a new installation. In a similar vein, Emergency showcases the works of Omar, Udagedara, Manohansa and Kumari as they investigate the civil war that has defined the recent history of Sri Lanka.
BREESE LITTLE, 30b Great Sutton Street, London EC1V 0DU
May 29, 2014
Text by Amandas Ong
Read the original post here.
Related Images (clockwise from top left)
1. PRIYANTHA UDAGEDARA, 2013, Super Hybrid, Watercolour on Paper, 64x50cm
2. JAGATH WEERASINGHE, 2014, Untitled XV, Mixed media on canvas, 150x150cm
3. PRAGEETH MANOHANSA, 2013, Squirrel, Scrap Metal, 30x18x10cm
4. JAGATH WEERASINGHE, 2014, Untitled XVI, Mixed media on canvas, 150x150cm
5. JAGATH WEERASINGHE, 2014, Untitled XVII, Mixed media on canvas, 150x150cm